Wednesday 28 November 2012

A UK Thanksgiving Meal...

Hello there Starshine!

No, I haven't gone insane and convinced myself that I'm an American. However, as my family holidays a lot in the USA, part of my family is based over there and my Mom comes from the Dominican Repubic (a country with a lot of American influence) we decided to throw together a lovely thanksgiving meal on the 22nd of November.

I'm not sure about you guys but apart from 'a turkey' we weren't quite sure what else goes into a thanksgiving meal so we took to the Good Food channel to watch the Barefoot Contessa and a bunch of other American chefs create their own meal. We settled on a few different sides and two types of meat as we didn't want to go with a traditional turkey because we were worried it might ruin our Christmas dinner having such a similar meal within the same season. The menu was as follows...

Turkey Wellington
Barbecue Pork Chops 
Green Beans Cooked With Bacon, Onions and Garlic
Macaroni Cheese
Sweet Potato Mash with Melted Marshmallows
Potato Salad
Cranberry Apple Chutney
Turkey Gravy

 *Oh yeahhhhhhh*




We were so full by the end of dinner that we were very nearly unable to stomach dessert. However, we forced down a slice of Mississippi Mud Pie and Key Lime Pie each... These pies were only from Tesco but ohmygoodness they were delicious with a little cream poured over the top of them. Throw in a bottle of Barefoot Rose (which my boyfriend Ben very kindly brought over to the house for my Mom and Dad) and we had the perfect meal!

In the midst of all of the food, drink and excitement, we actually forgot to say what we are each thankful for, which is a fundamental thanksgiving tradition. So here is a short list of some of the things I am most thankful for...

1) My family. We are very close, we get on, we argue, we play together, we'll stay together. I love them all no matter what.
2) My boyfriend. We only got together about two months ago, but since we did I have been very happy indeed. He treats me very well and I hope I do the same to him!
3) My education. Even though I hated studying (particularly in my final year of uni) I feel like my degree is a representation of how hard I can work and how well my brain works when I try.
4) My faith. Although I'm not really religious and don't fancy getting stuck into any huge religious debates, I always feel safe because I feel that someone is watching over me.
5) My USA road trip. I'll never be the same since travelling the States this summer. And I'm glad of it!

Following the lovely meal, there were leftovers which I have been savouring for days since. Here is a dish of leftovers which I had for my lunch just today...

*NOM*

Have you ever had a thanksgiving meal? What are you most thankful for? Do you think its weird that the American's eat sweet potato mash with marshmallows on top as part of their main meal?

Love and snuggles
GabriellaSofia
x

No comments:

Post a Comment